Monday, April 2, 2012

Buying a Snowboard?!

Here are some tips when taking the plug and deciding to buy a snowboard! 




First off buy the snowboard in a local area, or at least an area where you will be riding a lot. I cannot stress the importance of this step! This is important because if you are buying a board for your first time, you will need the help of the employees at the shop to help you make the best decision for you, they will help with the fitting of the board, boots, and bindings. It's also really important to buy locally because if something doesn't fit right after trying them out they will usually let you exchange it. This is better than just going online and basing you decision of the coolest or prettiest designs. However contradictory to that comment I bought my snowboard online. My reason for doing this is simple because I knew the size of the board I needed, the type of riding I wanted to do on it and was offered a discount on a forum board- Forum is a snowboard brand. 

 *The picture above is the snowboard that I purchase two years ago; unfortunately I wasn't able to find any picture where you could clearly see it. 


When deciding which board to buy you must also have an idea of what kind of riding you want to do. There are three main categories: 

1. Park riding- a short board would be best for this, a board that when stood up straight comes up to about your shoulders or neck
2. Natural terrain (powder board) - longer board, should be somewhere between your nose and forehead 
3. All mountain- combination of the two should be at your chin in height. 

After deciding which type of riding you will be doing most, you can move on to the next step. Another main component to choosing a board is your body type. How much you weigh and how tall you are.
This first link here is perfect for understanding how your body weight and height affect your snowboard type. He goes over the size chart posted above. This chart helps new riders understand the importance of buy a board that is the right size for you. 
This helpful video above is great to see the different types of riding out there and why it is so important to choose the right one for you. After choosing a board, you need to learn how to set it up properly. I have posted another video below that shows you step by step how to set up your board-put bindings on, at favorable angel, making your board specific to your preference. 

2 comments:

  1. I am one those people you spoke of. I would have gotten the pretties snowboard in the store. I wasn't aware your height had anything to do with the snowboard I would have been focusing which one would match my snowsuit better.
    But knowing how clumsy I am I am better off to the side and making a snowman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips. As I mentioned, I'd be really curious about the other advantages or disadvantages to buying locally as opposed to the internet - what if the internet has better prices?
    Also - I'd suggest you go in and proofread the postings ? This one is a little hard to follow with some of the errors.
    I am also with America that I might just build a snowman :)
    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete